1. Draining Water
After taking Tofu out of the container, wrap it in paper towels to remove excess water. Although we recommended that excess water be removed before cooking, some recipes do not require this step. Please refer to your particular recipe for directions.
Store the unused portion of Tofu in water inside an airtight container. It is recommended that water be changed daily. Unused Tofu must be refrigerated. Freezing Tofu is an option, but be advised that the texture of Tofu will change and become spongy. Also, frozen Tofu can absorb marinades or other liquids more quickly. To use frozen Tofu, simply let it defrost and squeeze out any excess liquid.
3. Selecting The Right Firmness
House Premium Tofu comes in six levels of firmness depending on its water content; Extra Soft, Soft, Medium, Firm, Extra Firm and Super Firm. Extra Soft Tofu and Soft Tofu are great for dips, salad dressings, sauces and desserts. Medium-Firm Tofu works well in casseroles, soups and salads. Use Firm, Extra Firm and Super Firm Tofu for crumbling, steaks, stir-frying and deep-frying. These are the basics guidelines, but feel free to switch around the firmness of Tofu according to your personal preference.
4. What Tofu Can Substitute For
Tofu is incredibly versatile and can be a substitute for various foods. Try these tips:
- Crumbled Firm or Extra Firm Tofu as a substitute for meat in pasta sauces, chili, tacos, wraps, meatloaf and hamburgers.
- Pureed Soft Tofu can make creamy dressings such as ranch and mayonnaise. It is also a good substitute for eggs, milk, sour cream and heavy cream.
- Substitute Firm Tofu for ricotta, cottage or cream cheese.
- Soft Tofu works well in many dessert recipes such as cheesecake, pies and pudding and a replacement for milk, cheese, cream cheese or eggs.
5. Tofu Shirataki Preparation
Drain excess water from the noodles and rinse thoroughly. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes or microwave for 1 minute to reduce the authentic aroma and remove excess water. Dry very well and use as you would regular cooled noodles. Tofu Shirataki noodles need to be refrigerated and cannot be frozen.