Caribbean Style Crab House Tofu Cakes
- Meal Type: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- Level: Intermediate
- Time: 25 mins
- Special Consideration: Flexitarian, Kids friendly
1. Wrap Tofu in paper towels and press to remove all excess water.
2. Crumble Tofu into crab meat and combine. Set aside
3. Sauté bananas (plantains), peppers, shallot and ginger in 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat until soft.
4. Cool and combine gently with Tofu, crab, panko, jerk seasoning, lime zest and juice, and egg. Let rest for 1/2 hr in refrigerator.
5. Form mixture into 8 cakes and coat with flour, shake to remove excess flour.
6. Sauté cakes for about 2 mins on each side or until golden crust forms.
7. Mix mayonnaise and hot sauce. Serve hot with spicy mayonnaise, if desired.
The recipe was created by David DaGaeta, Executive Chef, Tribeca Rooftop, NY
1/2 pkg (7 oz) House Premium or Organic Tofu - Firm
1 lb crab meat, drained
1/4 cup under-ripe bananas, diced (optional plaintains)
1/2 small red peper, diced
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp grated ginger
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
1 Tbsp Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
1 lime, zest and juice
1 large egg, beaten
3 Tbsp vegetable oil for sautéing
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp hot sauce or Sambal
Nutrition Per Serving
1 (253 g per serving)
- 430 kcal
- 31 g
- 19 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- 121 mg
- 34 g
- 650 mg
- 2 g
- 3 g