Fishing Bento with Tofu Poke
- Product: Extra firm
- Meal Type: Entrée
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Level: Easy
- Special Consideration: Kids friendly
For the Tofu Poke:
1. Drain and press tofu well.
2. Slice tofu horizontally in half and create fish shape with a knife. Cut the left over tofu into bite size pieces.
3. Mix soy sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. Add sliced onion and marinate for about 5 mins. Take the onion out and add tofu. Gently mix and transfer to a plate and set aside. (*Fish shape tofu is fragile, so be careful when dipping into sauce)
4. Cut a piece of nori seaweed to create the face and body parts. Apply to the tofu fish.
(**leftover tofu can be saved and used to make a Tofu Scramble or Tofu Soboro (with a little added sake.)
For the Bento:
1. Create one rice ball for head, and 2 small ones for hands for the bear.
2. Cut tofu with knife or some sort of round shape item to create half rounds for bear’s ear.
3. Tie boiled pasta to pan fried pasta to create a fishing pole.
4. Arrange lettuce, tomatoes, onion and the bear in a bento box.
5. Cut a piece of nori seaweed with the dry seaweed cutter to create face parts and apply to the bear with tweezers if available.
6. Add the tofu poke to the bento, placing below the lettuce.
7. Repeat steps 1-6 for remaining bento.
Created by Chef Mayumi Johnston
Makes 2 servings
For the Tofu Poke
½ pkg House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Extra Firm, drained
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp Sesame Oil
2 tsp sugar
¼ Onion, thinly sliced
Tools: dry seaweed cutter
For the Bento
200g cooked rice, divided
4 sticks spaghetti pasta (two pan fried, two boiled)
A piece of nori seaweed
Lettuce, tomatoes, onion