Spice-Seared Tofu with Avocado, Beets & Cucumbers
- Product: Medium firm, Firm
- Meal Type: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- Level: Intermediate
- Special Consideration: Vegan, Vegetarian
1. Cut tofu into 4 or 6 even rectangles. Place rectangles on a plate lined with two layers of paper towels.
2. Evenly distribute chopped garlic on the top side of the tofu rectangles. Sprinkle coarse salt over garlic then wrap with plastic and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Scrape off garlic and salt from tofu and pat dry with paper towels.
3. In a blender, combine fennel, coriander, cumin and salt. Blend until spices are coarsely ground. Mix spices with panko. Bread only the marinated side of the tofu by dipping it first into the Wondra flour, then the egg, then finally the spiced panko.
4. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat, add canola oil and sauté tofu crust-side-down until golden brown. Carefully flip tofu pieces and sauté an additional minute. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
5. To plate: Place tofu pieces crust-side-down and cut into 5 equal-sized pieces. On a plate, smear a couple tablespoons of the avocado purée in an arc. Make an artistic arrangement of the beets and cucumbers, then place the tofu pieces on top. Dress entire dish with kabosu vinaigrette and garnish with cilantro leaves.
1/2 jalapeno, with seeds
2 tbsp chives, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 tsp Vitamin C powder
salt and sugar to taste
1.Blend all ingredients at high speed in a blender until chives and cilantro are completely puréed.
2.Refrigerate immediately until ready to plate.
3 tbsp kabosu juice (you may substitute with fresh lime juice)
2 tbsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil
Place all ingredients into a small container with a tight lid. Shake vigorously and refrigerate.
The recipe was created by Craig Koketsu, Executive Chef of Park Avenue Spring and Quality Meats
1 pkg (14 oz)House Organic or Premium Tofu-Medium Firm, drained and wrapped in two layers of paper towels
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp coarse salt
2 Tbsp fennel seed
2 Tbsp coriander seed
1 Tbsp cumin seed
1 tsp salt
1 cup Panko
1 egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons salt
¼ cup Wondra flour
¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
4 baby Chioggia beets, roasted, peeled and cut into quarters
1 Japanese cucumber, sliced into 3/16” thick rounds
Avocado Puree (see recipe below)
Kabosu Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
Nutrition Per Serving
1 (232 g per serving)
- 300 kcal
- 27 g
- 16 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1.5 g
- 35 mg
- 13 g
- 4260 mg
- 5 g
- 4 g