Tofu Berry Shortcake
- Product: Medium firm
- Meal Type: Dessert bakery
- Cuisine: American
- Level: Easy
- Special Consideration: Vegetarian
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. First prepare the tofu vanilla cream: break tofu up into pieces and add to the food processor along with the powdered sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and almond milk. Blend for 1 minute until completely smooth. Remove to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, flour work surface. Roll out each puff pastry sheet to a 14-in. square. Use a biscuit cutter to cut the puff pastry into 10 (3 1/2-in.) rounds. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake the pastry until golden brown and puffy, about 15 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through cooking. Remove and let them cool. Once cool, horizontally slice each puffed round into 2 pieces.
4. Add the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice to a medium bowl and toss. Let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes so the juices develop.
5. To assemble, add a puffed round to a dessert plate. Add a layer of tofu cream and strawberries and dollop of tofu cream. Top with round of pastry and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
Recipe created by Debi Mazar & Gabriele Corcos, stars of Cooking Channel's show Extra Virgin
Makes 5 servings
½ pkg. House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Medium Firm
3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, seeded
1 Tbsp. Vanilla almond milk
½ (17-1/4 oz.) pkg. frozen puff pastry (1 sheet), thawed
1½ lbs. strawberries, hulled and sliced
¼ cup sugar
Nutrition Per Serving
- Saturated Fat